Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dear Mr. Oberst

Dear Mr. Oberst,
First off, I want to apologize for writing to Mr. Meloy before you. Please understand that it is nothing personal...it's just, you see, I've been wanting to write you for a while. The problem is, I can never find the words. I can never seem to vocalize just what you and your music do to me. The only two words I can ever seem to summon are "lyrical genius". You have written music that has literally changed me as a person. Things I didn't know how to say, you were able to, and the way you said them...well, perfect isn't even a strong enough word. Ways that I have felt, but would have never been able to describe, you describe in ways that would make me think you had spent time in my body. You give me hope, but at the same time, make me never want to touch a pen to paper again. I wouldn't want to impose and feel it an insult to you, to think I could even attempt to write words as moving as yours. Your voice reverberates through me causing an emotional tidal wave that builds up, until it eventually forces it's way out of my eyes and down my cheeks. Your fucking pure, raw, honesty is enough to bring someone to their knees. I apologize Mr. Oberst, but I'm going to have to end this letter now. There are not words powerful enough, I feel, to describe what you do and I feel other words do you no justice. I want to thank you for sharing your mind with me and and doing what you do. Please don't ever stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment