Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Truth About Cats and Dog……People


I never had a cat until I was about 18 years old. We had always been a dog family, since my grandfather was never really a “cat person”. After he passed away we got our first cat, Ruby. From there, our house has seen numerous cats. I had always considered myself a “dog person”, and even once we had the cats, I still never considered myself a “cat person”. The cats never really cared for me and I never really cared for them, until I got my first cat. I was 21 and had just gotten my first apartment when I found Wendy. She was a stray cat living next door to my work; she was black and white, filthy, and sweet. I would feed her chicken everyday that I bought off the roach coach, until I decided that I couldn’t keep letting her live this way and I was going to bring her home with me. She even taught herself to use the toilet (she couldn’t flush it, the whole “no opposable thumbs” issue). I had her for 10 years until she passed away from kidney failure. While I love the cats I have now, it’s sort of like your first love, you’ll never forget your first pet and no other pet will ever compare. From that cat forward, I had officially become a “cat person” and there was no looking back.

Ever since becoming a “cat person” I’ve learned that there is the controversy, so to speak, about women having cats. Having just acquired my third cat, I have heard the term “crazy cat lady” being thrown about freely in my direction. Having rescued all of my cats, I feel that if these were rescued dogs, it would be looked at in a slightly better light. Don’t get me wrong there are some “crazy cat lady” women out there, I am however not one of them. I don’t have 15 cats, I don’t have tacky cat sweaters, I don’t have kitschy cat figurines everywhere in my home, and I do not subject my cats to wearing homemade knitted sweaters. In my opinion there are way more crazy dog people out there, than there are crazy cat people. My animals are not my children, but in fact animals. I do not refer to them as my “children”. I find far more dog people do that than cat people. Have you ever gone on pet websites? The crap they have for dogs is unbelievable. I feel like I need to do the “Really?!?” skit from Saturday Night Live. Baby strollers to walk your dog in? Really?!? Polo shirts for a dog? Really?!? A dog doesn’t mind walking, I’m actually sure they would prefer it. I’m almost absolutely certain that when a dog see’s another dog wearing a polo shirt, he doesn’t get jealous and wishes he had a collar to pop. They are animals, let them be animals. How would people like it if one day their mom decided they should start walking on all fours on a leash, or start making them eat and drink out of a bowl? It’s just not how nature intended it.

There are many reasons that I’ve heard for why people do not like cats. I’ve heard that people do not like cats and are not sure why, but subconsciously it’s because they have no eyebrows and therefore show no emotion. Also people that are allergic to cats say they do not like them. This one boggles me slightly because it’s not really the cat’s fault that they’re allergic. Then there is the common one of people not liking cats because they’re scared of getting scratched. This one is understandable, some cats can be real assholes. Cat’s are extremely independent and really could take you or leave you. If you weren’t the one supplying the food, it would most likely be the latter.

This leads me to the theory I have on dog and cat people. This is my theory and in no way think that cat people are better than dog people, or vice versa, it’s just my theory on the different personalities of the two. I’ll rip the band aid off quick and start with dog people. Dogs are needy and are constantly vying for your love and attention. Dog people eat that up like thanksgiving dinner. They like the reassurance and enjoy getting rewarded for what they do for their dog. They themselves are slightly needy. They like the fact that someone is waiting by the door for them when they get home. Cats on the other hand are more independent. They could care less about you and when they feel like being around you they will and if they don’t they will let you know. When you come home you can probably bet the cat is thinking, “Oh. It’s you. Are you going to feed me or what?”. Cat people, like cat’s themselves are more independent also. They don’t need the reassurance that their pet loves them, they get pure satisfaction taking care of an animal whether or not that animal shows their appreciation. I once had a guy argue this theory with me. He said I was wrong and when I asked “fine, then why do you not like cats?” he responded with “well when I feed the cat, he could care less, he doesn’t even seem to appreciate the fact that I just gave him food!”. So I brought up the fact that he just supported my theory, and then stated that didn’t he think that was slightly needy to have to get that reassurance that he did a good thing (and also slightly arrogant)? I’ve always have an appreciation for a guy who has a cat, to me it’s slightly more masculine, and what can I say, there’s nothing wrong with a guy who loves pussy…..cats.

What kind of crazy cat lady would I be if I didn't include pictures of my cats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment