Saturday, August 11, 2012

Preacher! Preacher! I mean, Teacher! Teacher!

This morning, I did my usual, wake up, roll over, grab my phone, and check Facebook, routine. I see a post on a subject that immediately infuriates me. I told myself that I wasn't going to write another post like this for a while. I thought I needed to write more about, say, the cute things my cat did today (he did A LOT of cute things thing today, in case you were wondering). I felt that maybe people didn't want to hear my rants anymore, but guess what? I have a blog and you don't, so you will listen to every word I have to say. Here is the post, and probably the only thing that would take precedence over my cute cat, that made me so angry:

Now, this has nothing to do with whether I believe in God, or not. Which I don't. However, I had this same opinion back in the days when I thought God did exist. God does not want to be in a classroom. Heck, the kids don't even want to be there, why would God?! Plus, he doesn't belong there. He's too old and I'm pretty sure someone who is supposed to have infinite wisdom, doesn't need to be in school. Also, there is this little thing called the First Amendment, in which this violates. This also poses another question, which God would you want to be in school, considering there are about 2,870 recorded deities. What if the God you think should be in school, isn't the same God someone else believes should be in our schools? Your kid will get up, his kid will get up, they'll all get up! It will be anarchy!!

I have a better solution to this non-sense. Stop blaming everyone else, because you're a shitty parent. You've blamed Marilyn Manson, Eminem and now teachers. Shouldn't things like, the knowledge of right and wrong, start at home? I really doubt that prayer in school and the pledge of allegiance missing the word "God" has anything to do with your kid being messed up in the head. It's not other people's responsibility to teach your children basic morals. Teachers are here to educate our children and the assumption is probably made, that the child already has an understanding of what is right and what is wrong. All the teacher needs to do is keep those understandings in check.

I wonder what would be said, if on the first day of school, little Johnny punches a kid squaw in the nuts? Is God not being allowed in schools, to blame, considering little Johnny has never been to school? Also, there are these places of worship, I think they call them churches? If you want your kid to pray, I hear those are the best places for that! Who knew!? Unlike the public school system, they pride themselves in teaching the word of God. That is literally all they do there. I know, crazy, right?! Why would you want your kid to be taught such an important subject, by someone who might not even believe in God, and probably still listens to Phish, when you can take them directly to an expert and let them do your job as a parent, for you! Then, when little Johnny winds up in jail, you can blame the so-called "experts" and not some poor teacher who had the crazy idea that reading, writing and arithmetic would be slightly more beneficial to a child, than the bible.

Behavior starts at HOME, long before children are in school and long before they even know the constitution and Pledge of Allegiance. I also suppose that people that want God in the classroom, were taking their children to church, long before they took them to school. The values you teach, will carry over with them, into school and the rest of their life. God is not the glue that holds this country together. We are far too diverse. Let faith be the glue that holds YOUR family together, and practice it, in your own home and in your own church. You probably wouldn't appreciate it, if my kid was at your church, stood up and started pointing out all the discrepancies found in the bible. Well, I wouldn't appreciate your kid standing up during science class and pointing out statements from the bible to try and discredit science.

You don't need God, to be good. You just need parents that actually want to invest time in their child.

No comments:

Post a Comment